Full Outer Join?
k***@gmail.com
2006-09-12 06:02:15 UTC
Hi All !

Is Full Outer Join is supported by Sybase ASE 12.x? If yes, can someone
please explain me what syntax is to be used?

Thanks.
ZeldorBlat
Nope -- yet another feature that Sybase does not support directly.
David Kerber
2006-09-12 14:36:23 UTC
Post by ZeldorBlat
Post by k***@gmail.com
Hi All !
Is Full Outer Join is supported by Sybase ASE 12.x? If yes, can someone
please explain me what syntax is to be used?
Thanks.
Nope -- yet another feature that Sybase does not support directly.
Sybase's Adaptive Server Anywhere (AKA SQLAnywhere) does.
newsgroups if possible).
ZeldorBlat
2006-09-12 15:06:11 UTC
Post by David Kerber
Post by ZeldorBlat
Post by k***@gmail.com
Hi All !
Is Full Outer Join is supported by Sybase ASE 12.x? If yes, can someone
please explain me what syntax is to be used?
Thanks.
Nope -- yet another feature that Sybase does not support directly.
Sybase's Adaptive Server Anywhere (AKA SQLAnywhere) does.
newsgroups if possible).
So, in other words, Sybase feels that features like full outer joins
(which are supported by most other database servers) is only useful in
"database-powered applications for mobile, remote, and small- to
medium-sized business environments" (ASA) but /not/ in
"mission-critical, transaction-intensive applications" (ASE).
Larry Coon
2006-09-13 00:36:48 UTC
Post by ZeldorBlat
So, in other words, Sybase feels that features like full outer joins
(which are supported by most other database servers) is only useful in
"database-powered applications for mobile, remote, and small- to
medium-sized business environments" (ASA) but /not/ in
"mission-critical, transaction-intensive applications" (ASE).
I'd say it's more a case of buying a product that already
supported FOJ (which became ASA) while continuing to offer
their own product that did not (directly) support FOJ (ASE).

But since a FOJ is a union of a LOJ and a ROJ, we're not
talking about a lack of -support- here, we're talking about
a lack of a keyword.

Larry Coon
University of California
Rob Verschoor
2006-09-18 22:04:37 UTC
Galen Boyer
2006-09-19 03:34:02 UTC
Post by Rob Verschoor
Post by Larry Coon
Post by ZeldorBlat
So, in other words, Sybase feels that features like full outer
joins (which are supported by most other database servers) is only
useful in "database-powered applications for mobile, remote, and
small- to medium-sized business environments" (ASA) but /not/ in
"mission-critical, transaction-intensive applications" (ASE).
I'd say it's more a case of buying a product that already
supported FOJ (which became ASA) while continuing to offer
their own product that did not (directly) support FOJ (ASE).
But since a FOJ is a union of a LOJ and a ROJ, we're not
talking about a lack of -support- here, we're talking about
a lack of a keyword.
Larry Coon
University of California
Indeed. And there are other ways to simulate a full outer join as
well. If you have a copy of my book "Tips, Tricks & Recipes for
Sybase ASE", see section 6.2.5 for an example.
Is there a standard on _how_ the database is supposed to support the
syntax?

One cannot check against the nullability of the outer join restrictions
within the select clause, plus, they don't support inline views (except,
I believe it the most latest version), so, I'm almost always forced into
a temp table solution when using outer joins, no matter what the syntax.

Its quite a bit frustrating, because I'm allowed to do other expressions
on the select list, such as CASE statements, but if an outer join is
involved, I'm not allowed to perform expressions on the nullability.
--
Galen Boyer